Tuesday, January 17, 2012

A Quick Hello.

I've started this blog as a requirement for my class, Writing With Public Purpose, and I hope to use it to do exactly as it's titled--raise my voice. Up to this point, I regret to admit that I've been mostly apathetic when it comes to politics, though a few political science classes in high school and college ensured that I was never completely uninformed. I am a senior in college, and now, more than ever, I feel like "the issues"affect me directly. I want to educate myself on current issues, affairs, concerns, and policies and develop well-founded opinions on them. Moreover, I want to be able to clearly communicate my views to others and defend them when challenged. I hope that this course and this blog will help me to do that, and I hope that others my age and in my position can do the same.

In addition to completing my class assignments, my goal is to post about a wide range of topics. I am a biology major, however, and many of my posts may be related to science, medicine, research, and bioethics. Still, I hope you enjoy reading, and I greatly appreciate any comments you care to leave.

2 comments:

  1. Nice name and design for your site. I like how you speak about where you are coming from as a college senior... but it speaks for a lot of us! Enjoy blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are not the only one who must admit that they are mostly apathetic when it comes to politics. I am guilty of the same thing much to the annoyance/disappointment of some of my more active friends and family members. Somehow I feel that our stances will change over time the further into the "real world" we go. This class will definitely help in the pursuit of becoming more informed because not only do we need to learn, we then have to think everything over and discover our own stances.

    Best of luck with Senior year and see you in class.

    ReplyDelete