Sunday, January 22, 2012

A Note on Blogs.

(Assignment 1.3)

I’ve only recently begun to explore the world of blogs, but here are a few that I have found particularly interesting.

High Existence http://www.highexistence.com/blog/

Created by Jordan Lejuwaan, this site has a number of contributors that share advice, thoughts, experiences—anything and everything—to help themselves and their readers build a better life, explore the human condition, and promote the general spread of happiness. Furthermore, the site includes a discussion section where members can discuss openly about their ideas and experiences.

Change Your Thoughts, Change Your Life http://www.stevenaitchison.co.uk/blog/

For some reason, I have always been interested in personal development, and I enjoy reading blogs like this one that give really good advice on how to make real changes in your life. This site is full of engaging articles that offer suggestions to help you get the most out of your life and be the best that you can be. Furthermore, the design of the site is as appealing as the content.

You, Me, & Charlie. http://youmeandcharlie.com/

To be honest, the only reason I checked this site out was because it was started by Dianna Agron, a cast member on one of my favorite TV shows, Glee. However, I continue to go back to it every once in a while because I love its mission. The goal of the site is to find beauty in yourself and the world around you, inspire beauty in others, and express it in creative and artistic ways. The site is based on reader contribution, and so, I am not even sure if it is technically a blog. Still, it is wonderful to look through and see the love and beauty others all over the world have been inspired to share.

In a general, a simple blog layout is more appealing to me than a cluttered one. I like to be able to see the most recent post when I open the page. I prefer brighter, lighter colors to darker ones, and images can break up the monotony of text. In my own blog, I would like to incorporate video clips, images, news articles, and other elements to compliment my posts. I also really like when readers can easily participate. The “re-blogging” feature on Tumblr makes this simple. Other blogs encouraged reader participation simply by asking for it. When readers were asked to share their thoughts, videos, pictures, and experiences, they generally seemed more likely to do so. The discussion feature on the site High Existence is another good way to start and continue reader participation.

I generally prefer blogs with some over-arching focus or theme. It makes it possible to search for blogs relating to specific topics. For me, a good blog has an appealing layout, well-written posts, and a general purpose. The purpose of my own blog is to explore different issues relating to politics, religion, science—the human condition, in general—and begin to develop my own opinions on them. As a biology major, I may focus on issues relating to science, medicine, bioethics, and research, but I hope to explore a variety of topics. Through my blog, I want to develop my voice and express my thoughts and opinions clearly to a general audience.

2 comments:

  1. I think you have introduced me to a new favorite site/blog to read. You me & Charlie is a great place and, after checking it out, I read a great entry on Girls who read. It was absolutely charming and left me with a warm feeling inside.

    Your concept of the ideal blog matches up very closely to mine. I enjoy simplicity and smooth lines. I enjoy how you set up your own blog, especially the color choice and a fun font for the title. It catches my attention and is easy on the eyes while trying to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a fan of (sucker for?) personal development reading as well. I'm intrigued by these sites! I can think of some professor friends in Psych who would like the first, and I enjoyed in the second the article on Sly Stallone following his passion when making "Rocky." The Charlie site reminds us that blogs can be a small-group effort.

    ReplyDelete